Mr. Jedele is an environmental lawyer with over 13 years of environmental litigation, transactional and counseling experience representing large and small companies, non-profit organizations and individuals. His practice includes all aspects of environmental law and he regularly represents clients in areas of solid and hazardous waste, CERCLA, RCRA, air, water, wetlands, climate change and sustainability, civil and administrative enforcement actions and proceedings, environmental impact assessment, permitting and regulatory compliance, site remediation, brownfields, acquisition and disposition of environmentally stressed properties, real property development, environmental due diligence and negotiations in real estate, and drafting and negotiating regulatory agreements.
Prior to joining Chace Ruttenberg & Freedman, LLP, Mr. Jedele spent almost five years as staff attorney with the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, where his responsibilities included regulatory enforcement of matters related to solid waste, hazardous waste and air, as well as brownfield development.
Bret is known for both his expertise in negotiating with environmental regulatory agencies and counter parties and for his skill in resolving difficult environmental issues efficiently in order to save clients resources and heartache.
- Assisted numerous clients with negotiating the complex issues involved in Superfund site and landfill closure defense, allocation and remediation with projects located in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and North Carolina
- Successfully defended clients in licensing matter held before a state regulatory agency
- Negotiated access and indemnification agreements for up-gradient remediation of client’s property
- Assisted various clients through local and state agency permitting process for development projects needing environmental permitting
- Successfully negotiated settlements for clients for allegations regarding failed wastewater treatment system
- Successfully negotiated settlements for clients for allegations regarding hazardous waste transport, storage and disposal requirements
- Successfully negotiated settlements for clients for allegations regarding violations of the Air Pollution Control regulations
- Assisted numerous clients with obtaining Brownfield Agreement for developing blighted urban properties
- Assisted clients in obtaining relief from various local Zoning and Planning department restrictions
- Recognized as Rising Star in the area of environmental law by the New England Super Lawyers directory
- Previously acted as co-chair of the Rhode Island Bar Association Environmental Law Committee of the RIBA
- Rhode Island Society of Environmental Professionals
- Environmental Business Council of Rhode Island
- Central Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce
- Program presenter for the June, 2007 Lorman Educational Services seminar: "Current Issues in Storm Water Management"
- Co-authored "Environmental Enforcement in the Ocean State" in the May/June, 2009 edition of the Rhode Island Bar Journal
- University of Southern Colorado (now Colorado State University – Pueblo) (1994)
- Creighton University School of Law (1998)
- Vermont Law School (Masters in Studies in Environmental Law) (1999)